020 8905 1395

How can you finance your degree?

If you are thinking about studying for a degree you may be looking into how you might finance the tuition fees.  This is a handy guide to the range of options that our students commonly access.  The following information is applicable for students interested in enrolling onto our course for January or September 2018.

First time degree?

Student Finance

Part-time students can apply to Student Finance for a Tuition Fee Loan to cover the course fees.  If students are successful and obtain the full tuition fee loan, it will be paid directly to the institution. Further information can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login

Already got a degree?

Student Finance: For students considering the osteopathy course who already hold a degree, as of 2017, if this is your second degree but your first degree in an allied healthcare subject (which osteopathy is) you can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan to cover the course fees. To read the student finance official guidance on this, please go to page 8 of the document which can be found here.

Professional and Career Development Loans: If this is your second degree there is the option of a Professional and Career Development Loan. This is a bank loan and you usually can borrow between £300 and £10,000. The College is on the Professional and Career Development Loan register and more information can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/career-development-loans/overview

Local Education Authority (LEA) Grants: Your local council may offer grants to advance your education. As councils can assign funding to different areas, search for local training providers using the https://www.gov.uk/find-local-council website.

Are you self employed and / or working in the healthcare industry?

Claiming your course fees as Tax Relief:

You may be eligible to offset some of the course fees as tax relief. If you are self-employed you may be able to include the course fees as part of your business expenses. If you are employed you may be able to claim it as tax relief.

How much of the course fees can be claimed will depend on individual circumstances so you will need to contact HMRC directly to discuss this. HMRC – 0300 200 3310, ask for Personal Tax and explain that you would like to claim tax relief through professional subscriptions.  HMRC will be able to confirm what you may be eligible for. You may also wish to talk to your accountant (if you have one).

Planning on self-funding?

In full or by instalment

If you are planning on funding the course yourself we have a variety of instalment options.

You can of course pay in full at the start of the course.  We also have the option of paying by instalments either dividing the fee in half or paid monthly over the duration of the term.  Any instalment plan does attract a surcharge of between 1 & 3% depending on the method you choose.


Payment by credit card

You may be able to finance the course fees using a credit card.  This method also attracts a 3% surcharge.


Other help with funding once enrolled on the course:

Council Tax Student Status:

Once you have enrolled as a student, you may be able to claim some discount on your council tax.  You will need to contact your local council to find out what discount scheme runs in your area, explaining that you will be a student on a degree course.  We can provide a letter for you with any information they request to support your application for a discount.


Student Travel – London Campus:

Once enrolled you may also be eligible for a student travel card offered by TFL.   The card gives you 30% off the price of adult-rate travel cards and Bus & Tram Pass season tickets.

The course is registered with TFL and once you have enrolled you can apply for this card directly here.


If you have made the decision to apply for the course and would like to discuss any of the finance options please do not hesitate to give us a call.



What people say about us